What are the chances of getting out alive from a situation like that? Well, apparently, pretty good. The victim managed to escape from the trunk and sought help. He was taken to the hospital in serious condition. His car didn't fare so well — it was later found abandoned and on fire.
If you ever find yourself trapped in the trunk of a car, here are some options to help you escape:
- Look for a glow-in-the-dark T-handle emergency trunk release to pop open the lid.
- Or look for the trunk release cable that runs from the driver's compartment back to the trunk latch and tug the cable toward the front of the car to unlock the latch.
- Search around for tools that can help you pry open the latch — a screwdriver, a tire iron, etc.
- Try using the vehicle jack to pry up one corner of the trunk lid so you can catch the attention of other drivers.
- Cut or tear loose the wiring that leads to the brake lights, so the police will notice something is amiss with the vehicle and pull it over.
- If you're abandoned in the trunk, kick through the back seat and crawl into the passenger compartment.