How does that happen?
The report about this particular fire doesn't specify the cause, but there are several possibilities.
- During the power outage caused by Hurricane Sandy, residents might have been using candles or lanterns to light their homes, and one of those might have gotten knocked over and started the fire.
- Sparking powerlines might have ignited the fire where the power entered the house.
- And exploding transformer might have caused the blaze.
- Downed powerlines falling on roof of a house might be the culprit.
- A fuel spill or leak resulting from the massive storm could be involved.
- If you use candles for illumination, set them on a plate that has water in it. If the candle is knocked over, it will simply be extinguished.
- Clear away combustible materials from the area where emergency candles, oil lamps or lanterns are being used. Oil lamps, by the way, are risky. If they smash to the floor, the spilled oil will ignite and you'll have a major problem on hands. Camp lanterns are a better choice.
- Clear tree limbs (perhaps entire trees) away from powerlines.
- If instructed to do so, turn off the electrical main switch to your house to prevent electrical fires. Also turn off the natural gas or propane supply.
- Don't use a barbecue or hibachi for cooking indoors. Not only is that a fire hazard, but it is also a sure way to kill yourself by asphyxiation or carbon monoxide poisoning.